Stakeholder engagement arrangements for the draft amendments to the MS (Safe Manning, Training and Certification) Regulations
Please find the SAMSA Marine Notice on stakeholder engagement arrangements for the draft amendments to the MS (Safe Manning, Training and Certification) Regulations below.
The Notice serves to inform stakeholders of planned workshops regarding the proposed amendments to Regulations affecting the Maritime Education and Training System (METS), Medical Examination of Seafarers and the Safe Manning of Ships.
The engagement sessions will be held as follows:
• 04 November 2019 Durban (All stakeholders)
• 05 November 2019 Port Elizabeth (All stakeholders)
• 06 November 2019 Port Elizabeth (Fishing Stakeholders)
• 07 November 2019 Cape Town (All stakeholders)
• 08 November 2019 Cape Town (Fishing Stakeholders)
IOI-SA Course in Ocean Governance for Africa
The Course in Ocean Governance for Africa is an annual course run in Cape Town in association with our course partners, SANBI and SAIMI.
The next course will run from the 2nd – 27th September 2019. Applications are closed.
Applications for the 2020 course will open in January 2020.
PhD Opportunity in Germany
PhD opportunity (sediment/ancient DNA) on South African and German joint project to identify changes in aquatic ecosystems over time to defines its natural variability in the past as reference condition and relates the condition of the present ecosystem to it.
Offered by SPACES, TRACES, DAAD. The funding will include:
* PhD salary (up to 36 to 48 months) to cover the personal living expenses in Germany
* subsidized health insurance fees in Germany
* limited travel money.
Work at the Universities of Greifswald and Potsdam.
CLOSING DATE: No closing date indicated, open until filled.ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Appointment of a Service Provider to conduct a Skills Audit and Value Chain Analysis for the Small Harbours Development Sector
The SA International Maritime Institute (SAIMI), in collaboration with Department of Public Works (DPW), require the services of a service provider to undertake a skills audit and needs analysis for the Small Harbour Development sector in South Africa.
SAIMI and DPW have identified the need to undertake a baseline skills audit and value chain analysis in order to:
1. Inform the interventions required to grow the skills base of the sector to meet current and future demands;
2. Prioritise and guide the development of the qualifications that are required for the sector;
3. Create a baseline to measure the impact of interventions; and
4. Identify critical and scarce skills required for the Small Harbours sector.
For more information, please download the Request for Proposal below.
CLOSING DATE: 22 October 2019 - 12pmREQUEST FOR PROPOSAL
SAEON Postdoctoral Position
SAEON is seeking to appoint a postdoctoral researcher to develop a data assimilative model to better resolve and understand features on the Agulhas Bank.
CLOSING DATE: Will remain open until the position is filled.ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
High Voltage Training (STCW A – III/I)
This course covers the High Voltage requirements as laid out in the Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping (STCW), Manila amendments and is approved South African Maritime Safety Authority (SAMSA).
On completion of this course, delegates will be able to:
• Understand and apply fundamental electrical engineering theory and principals relating to HV
• Understand the dangers associated with HV including arch-flash & electric shock and take appropriate measures to reduce the likelihood for such events
• Apply steps & procedures for working on HV equipment including Risk Assessment, Permit-To-Work, Sanction-To-Test and Lock-Out-Tag-Out (LOTO)
DURATION: 3 Days
COST: R7500 incl.MORE INFORMATION & COURSE SCHEDULE
Chick rearing internship
The Seabird Chick Rearing internship has been developed to equip you with chick husbandry skills and egg management skills for a career in captive breeding or seabird chick rearing. The Seabird Chick Rearing internship is not as physically demanding as the other seabird internship programmes, however, you need to be focussed, self-motivated, compassionate, and highly observant. Be aware that the environment you will work in is quiet and solitary by nature.MORE INFORMATION