June 15, 2020

SAIMI and MSC training partnership launches 20 maritime careers

A partnership between the South African International Maritime Institute (SAIMI) and the Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC) has launched the shore-based maritime careers of 20 matriculants.

The group of students from disadvantaged backgrounds were recruited from Durban, Johannesburg, Cape Town and Port Elizabeth, are enrolled on a three-year course leading to a National Certificate in Shipping and entry to MSC’s learnership programme.

Their first year of classroom-based training facilitated by The Maritime School is being subsidised through SAIMI.

The current learnership programme at MSC is made up of 63 per cent women and 37 per cent men.

“There is a growing skills shortage in the global maritime sector and programmes such as that offered by The Maritime School and MSC provides a valuable feeder service into the industry,” says Professor Malek Pourzanjani, chief executive officer of SAIMI.

This is confirmed by Rosario Sarno of MSC, who says “MSC South Africa currently employs 1 300 staff and there are approximately 30-50 job opportunities a year due to natural attrition”.

“The fact of the matter is that the top 20% of matriculants enrol at universities whilst the remaining 80% of matriculants experience great difficulty in finding employment.

“Most matriculants aren’t ready to enter the work world which creates a myriad of problems for industry and the economy at large,” says Pavlin Govender of The Maritime School.

“MSC has found this qualification to be fit for purpose and appropriate in obtaining entry level knowledge and skills within the industry.

“The qualification will make learners more employable and will prepare students to perform a range of entry-level functions within the maritime sector,” says Govender.

MSC has run one of the largest learnership projects in the South African maritime sector for the past five years, and has 100 students on its learnership programme.

Level one of the course introduces the learners to international trade over a period of 12 months. “This qualification will allow learners to adapt to the world and work and enhance their practical skills by performing actual job functions,” says Sarno.

Those who achieve over 80% will be automatically enrolled in the next level, where their studies are subsidised and they receive a stipend. The 12-month Level Two course focuses on freight forwarding and customs compliance.

Once again those scoring more than 80% will be able to continue to the final level, where they will obtain a National Certificate in Shipping.

About the author

Issued by Issued by Siyathetha Communications on behalf of the South African International Maritime Institute.

SAIMI CEO: Odwa Mtati – 082 783 6810 Siyathetha: Ed Richardson: +27 41 582 3750 / 083 656 9757

More Articles

July 28, 2023

South African International Maritime Institute (SAIMI) hosted a successful Maritime Winter School Awareness Programme

South Africa has been at the center of a surge in interest in respect of sea-going careers. The South African International Maritime Institute (SAIMI) in line with its mandate and role as advocate and coordinator of skills development in the maritime sector has initiated a new pilot programme. This is an ongoing exploration at testing the waters in ensuring that the South African system is strengthened and therefore ready to be able to respond to these opportunities that are coming into the Country.