Qualified Seafarer Registration
A need has been expressed for the creation of a South African Qualified Seafarer database, which will allow SAIMI to firstly have a complete database of qualified South African Seafarers and secondly, the ability to track their employment status after qualification. This will enable SAIMI to provide relevant statistics on employed/unemployed Seafarers in order to make informed decisions about the future of Seafarers in South Africa. This database is for all seafarers who are in possession of any form of ticket or license to work onboard a ship.
SAIMI invites all qualified South African Seafarers to register on the database and provide all required documentation. The different types of Certificates of Competency (CoCs) or Certificates of Proficiency (COPs) are to be clearly indicated.
This database will allow SAIMI to facilitate, maintain and give feedback pertaining to statistics on the South African seafarer employment market. SAIMI also aims to provide Seafarers with important industry information on a continuous basis to ensure that Seafarers keep abreast of developments in the industry.
The Protection of Personal Information Act, 4 of 2013 (POPIA) has come into effect as of 1 July 2020. In terms of the Act SAIMI, which is an entity of Nelson Mandela University (NMU), is a responsible party and must ensure that the personal information it collects is protected and safeguarded on behalf of the data subject, that is you, the Seafarer. In order to share any personal information in its possession, SAIMI will obtain consent from you, the Seafarer.
- 1. By registering on this site, you agree to be bound by all the terms and conditions specified:
- a. You have to be a South African citizen
- b. You have to be in possession of a valid Seafarer qualification
- c. SAIMI will confirm receipt of your submission
- d. In the event of a job opportunity that meets your qualifications and experience, we will request your consent to submit your CV to the relevant employer
- e. Email queries to email@example.com